Sunday, November 13, 2011

What a week!


Veronica LOVED being wrapped
up in the scarf
One week and one day ago my mum flew in from Canada. This trip had been planned for a long time since Mike was going to Washington for a conference and mum was going to keep Veronica and I company. We had only been home from the hospital for one day but were pretty excited to see her.


Yes I am pretty!!
Another scarf!!!
On Tuesday, Mum, Veronica and I decided to head to the local mall so I could get a haircut and we could get some diapers and other things. We got caught in the rain on the way home which wasn't too fun but overall had a lovely day. Veronica was very fussy that night and went to bed early. After putting her to bed Mike and I went out for a nice dinner just the two of us. When we arrived home Veronica woke up and was very unhappy again. We took her temperature and it was 102.5!!!! AHHHHHH!!! Another fever! BUT it wasn't as high as we have seen it so we gave her some tempera, calmed her down and got her back to sleep. She was up again at 5 am, same thing... Throughout the day she just got worse and worse with her temp going up to 103.1. Still not the highest we have seen but worrisome non the less. what was also really upsetting was that Veronica was not eating and becoming more and more listless. She would only be held and just wasn't moving. I spoke with Mike and we decided to get some pee bags, put one on her and take her back to the hospital.
I don't think I feel very well today.

Once at the hospital they took some blood. Put in a needle and she had a new ultrasound of her kidney's. Her kidneys were a little inflamed but her white blood cell count was good. There was another count though that was not good and indicated infection. They told us pretty early on that she would be admitted and were just waiting for a bed. Groan.

We ended up in another building than the last one we were in. This was an old part with single rooms, crammed with two beds, dressers and whatnot. It was tiny. They also didn't have a bed for us with sides so I had to sleep holding her the whole time incase she rolled off. For a bit she slept on me but I kept having dreams I was being suffocated only to wake up and find her around my neck like a scarf!

Thursday we moved to another tiny room with a teenage boy. We had a proper crib again to stuff ourselves into. The first day she was there she was still very lethargic and all she did was cuddle and sleep. She was on IV for dehydration and was receiving antibiotics. She continued with a fever and developed a rash. With this rash the doctors decided it was not her kidney's this time but 6th disease.




While in the hospital Veronica saw a Urologist and was told that in 6 weeks she would be seen to evaluate her kidney function.


The last 24 hours in the hospital were pretty tough. Veronica was VERY unhappy. The arm where the IV was became swollen and pussy so they tried to put it in another vein but that didn't work too well. I saw the doctor on Sat and kept asking if we could go home... PLEASE!!!! She finally agreed because even though V's blood wasn't perfect it was going down.. We have to get another blood test next week and do another urinalysis but at least we are home! Her official diagnosis was 6th disease which just goes away on its own and not a problem with her kidney's.

Veronica has learned to sleep scowling this hospital visit.
Since being home Veronica has eaten and drunk more than she has in a while. She has smiled and played although gets tired easily and can get pretty upset quickly. I am tired as well. She has gotten so used to sleeping with me she won't sleep in her crib. Last night she slept with mum and I. It is nap time now and the only way I could get her in the crib was to wait for her to fall asleep on a pillow and then put her, pillow and all, in the crib. I stuffed the rest of the crib with her blankets so she wouldn't fall off. Mum is making a nice big roast chicken and potatoes for lunch.. I am beginning to smell it. mmmmm.... we are being spoiled!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment