Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sick but cute!

 

This last week has been a little crazy. After 15 months of living in Rome, being sent to every conceivable government building, sometimes twice, I finally received health care! I do not yet have my card, it will come in the mail, but I have a printout of my card. YAY!!!

On Wednesday Veronica had her VCUG. She cried through the whole procedure but as soon as it was finished she was fine. Face a little swollen, burst blood vessels around her eyes, but otherwise fine. Only I was able to go in with her and while I was able to remain calm and try to provide any comfort possible during the procedure (while holding her arms and upper body down) I was very difficult. It was so difficult to listen and see Veronica be so scared and upset and not really understand what is happening and why.




Nobody puts baby in the corner!


How did I do this??
When it was all over we saw a lovely Urologist, who spoke English (!!!!), and was able to explain to us exactly what was going on. V has grade 2 reflux. She showed us the x-rays taken and we could see what was happening. Veronica has not been on any antibiotics since her last infection in November and the Urologist would like to keep it that way. We are to continue doing urine tests every two weeks to monitor her levels and if there is any change we call her. If everything goes well we will see the Urologist in 3-4 months at which time V will have an ultrasound done. I asked if she will ever have to have a VCUG done again and she said no. Phew! She spoke briefly about surgery which can fix the problem if she doesn't grow out of it but we are hoping it won't come to that. The Urologist was very positive about the outcome eventually clearing up.

I had been hoping that the results would show that V has grown out of this problem but feel that even though she hasn't we are doing everything possible to make sure she doesn't get sick again.

On that note, V has a rather nasty cold. She is coughing and incredibly phlegmy. Sleep has not been very good because she coughs all night. We have boosted the front of her bed so she is on an incline but it didn't seem to help a whole lot. I am just happy she is on the mend now and will hopefully be all better by next Saturday.

Why next Saurday you ask... We will be heading to BELGIUM for two weeks!!! Hurrah!!



In January we sleep trained Veronica with great success. She sleeps 10.5-12 hours a night. After the second night, Mike went in to her room in the morning and she on her own announced 'I DID IT!!'. Clever girl!!


No comments:

Post a Comment