Monday, December 20, 2010

The doctors appointment on Friday December 17th

In the hotel after the appointment

Friday I met Mike at his work.. around 11:45. They were in the process of collecting some data and it was fun to watch. It was different than what I had seen in the past. When they were finished Mike, Veornica and I took a bus to San Giovanni. From here we took another bus to the hotel we had booked for the night. We had been told that her operation would be at 8 am on Saturday so we thought it better to spend the night close by rather than 2 bus rides away. When we got to the hotel it was 1:40 pm - her appointment was at 2:15 pm. We checked in quickly, stored our stuff, and headed off to the clinic. Along the way we ducked into a bar and got a quick sandwich as neither of us had eaten that day. At this time it started to SNOW!!!! It was so wonderful to see. I felt it was a good sign of things to come! We got tot he clinic at about 2:10 pm. The clinic was in this immaculat little house next to what appeared to be a private hospital which was in a beautiful clean building. We checked in and sat down with three other people in the waiting room. We were Dr.Raimondi's first appointment of the day.

45 minutes later, the waiting room is beginning to fill up and no one has been called. At this point the receptionist came in to let us know that Dr. Raimondi was stuck at the Rome airport. He had just flown in from Milan, and would be atleast another hour.

all bundeled up.. she had 4 blankets on top!
Veronica was an excellent baby that day. She slept most of the time, waking up at about 3 to eat and play. She didn't cry and naturally, charmed everyone int he room. Finally at about 4:30 pm the doctor arrived!!! Mike and I were both very nervous not sure what to expect. Veronica had been in fine form, playing, using both arms, shoving both hands in her mouth and overall happy in the waiting room.... and then we got into the doctors office. Now, she didn't throw a tantrum or anything, that would have been preferable because she just didn't do ANYTHING. When we went in the doctor asked us how it was going, good we said, she is moving her arm lots but we are not sure if she is using her bicep or just her tricep...  I took her top off so he could see her arm and she just lay there and looked at him. He picked her arm up and flop... nothing. He bent it... flop.. nothing. She did NOTHING. At this point Mike and I are rambling on, interrupting each other about how she can use it and we don't know why she isn't doing anything, I am ruinning into the next room getting a toy she loves to show how she can grab it... nothing... she just looked at us like we were all nuts. The doctor was chuckling and bending her arm, testing it, flexing, and finally he says, yes, I feel her bicep is moving, not too much but it is moving. NO SURGERY!!!! HURRAY!!!! At that Veronica finally lifts her arm up... Stubborn girl!

So, no surgery.. at the moment. We have another appointment on February 4th to see what progress her bicep is making, if it is getting stronger or not. If it hasn't then she will need a much smaller surgery. They would go into her bicep and sort of rewire it so it will regain its full function. Of course this is not preferable but it is much less invasive and only in her arm not her neck, leg and arm.
Going to our celebratory dinner
For the first time since she has been born I feel that this is all going to sort itself out. I feel like I have spent months scared that her arm movement would not return and all the doctors were wrong. After the appointment on friday I really feel and believe that this is all going to work out. No more worries about her being able to do her hair, turn a page, tie her shoelaces because it really is all going to work out! It is amazing the difference a day can make.

That night Mike and I celebrated with dinner in the hotel... Just a little info about the hotel.. it was a 3 star and during peak season the rooms cost 280 Euro.. because it is off season, we paid 62 Euros.. CRAZY!

on the bus heading home
Sunday December 18th

1 year ago on this day I had a positive pregnancy test! Veronica has been with us for 1 year now!!!

We slept in, and then headed home. At San Giovanni there was a Christmas market going on. We had a little peak, got lunch - a Kebab and went and sat infront of the Cathedral to eat. I couldn't help thinking what a wonderful life I have. To be able to sit on a beautiful December day infront of this huge, beautiful cathedral with the two loves of my life! Now it is time to focus on CHRISTMAS!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Well I shed a few tears when I read your blog, the three of you can now relax and enjoy the holidays, Merry Christmas, it will be a very happy one!!! Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, tears if happiness for the three of you, Nana

    ReplyDelete